The Social Network : Review




Monday, September 6, 2010

Mission Satement Impossible


Its 3:00 am on a Wednesday night and I haven’t started my essay on the political state of the European Union. The paper will make up thirty percent of my semester grade. I guess “whoops” doesn’t really cover this one does it? But wait! There’s good news! I have two thousand friends on Facebook and the girl from the last week’s party friended me, score.
          
 How many times have you been in this very scenario? You're suppose to be doing something of pressing importance, perhaps a term paper, or maybe the eight weeks of math homework you didn’t do because the new Call of Duty game came out but instead of actually doing that important task, you found yourself on Facebook liking the status of a friend. How many times have you found yourself looking at the fantastic parties and events your friends are attending while you sit there and stare at the computer screen and think “If only I was that awesome…”. Facebook is smoke and mirrors my friends. Yes, I said it and George Orwell would be proud. Facebook is evil and there is no doubt about it, it killed Myspace and now it wants our GPA, but I say no!
           
“But Jake” you say, “How do you plan to defeat the evils of Facebook?” and my answer is this, I do not plan to eliminate Facebook from my life but rather I plan to research and dissect it. Over the next month, I intended to chronicle and analyze both my and my friend’s usage of Facebook, blogging the stories and the results of my research. I do not know what will come of this quest to truly find out what Facebook is and how it works, but I hope that by viewing Facebook in a objective manner I can some how obtain a better understanding of how its dark magic works and perhaps even neutralize its powers. In a sense I am a modern day Tom Wolfe, but instead of studying hippies and drugs, I’m studying a social networking site that eats people lives. So let it be known; Facebook I’m coming for you.


Check out the cast of the upcoming Facebook Movie


No comments:

Post a Comment